Worsley Works LBSC director’s saloon, part two

Matt Wickham continues building a Worsley Works brass kit for a 4mm London Brighton & South Coast Railway director’s saloon, this time moving on to the construction of the body shell.

The coach body in this kit consists of only four parts, with two formers for the bowed ends also acting as mounting points for the body to the chassis.

The partitions are all in place with just a few final bits of soldering to be done.

First I removed the sides from the brass frets, but to form the tumblehomes I had to build a former. With a budget of £10, I went down to my DIY store and bought an off-cut of some curved skirting boards, with the top facing edge nicely curved. I also bought some M6 hex bolts, washers and wing nuts that will be used later on.

After finding a piece of hardwood in the garage to use as a clamp to hold the coach side against the curved skirting board, I drilled 6mm holes in the hard wood and elongated those in the pine to allow some movement up and down in case some sides were higher.

Once the two coach sides had received their tumblehomes, the two ends of the coach were formed. The ends have a brass former to hold the bow end shape, and this also has a hole in the base for attaching the body to the chassis. An M2 brass nut was soldered to the base plate, and then the ends were soldered to the sides.

The positions of cable runs and roof vents marked in pencil from drawings.

With just two sides and two ends, the kit is extremely flexible, so had to be stiffened up a little. At this stage, of course, the roof still had to go on, but the sides and ends had to be strong in the middle so that the structure would not flex during the roof attachment.

With drawings and some excellent photos from Mike Anton, I had to scratch-build the partitions, corridor and some of the interior to stiffen up the model. Partitions were marked out on a piece of 0.3mm sheet brass, cut out with tin snips and cut to shape with some doorways, just in case I might decide later on to fit some sort of interior, depending on which windows are opaque or clear.

With the coach chassis painted matt black, and the body primed ready for its final livery (whichever that proves to be) we’ll bring the final article when everything has been completed.

With the body now much stiffer, I turned my attention to the roof. I’d originally purchased an elliptical roof profile from Wizard, as recommended by Worsley Works and as described in an LBSC rolling stock book that I’d borrowed from a friend. When the roof arrived, it wasn’t quite what I’d expected as it seemed overly curved.

For the full article, see the September edition of Modelling – available now!

For a complete list of stockists and how to get your copy, visit: www.railwaymagazinemodelling.co.uk/distributors

Comments

comments