What’s in the Shops: Bachmann OO9 gauge Baldwin locomotive

The Baldwin Class 10-12-D is the first OO9 gauge locomotive model to be released by Bachmann as part of its new narrow gauge range. Nigel Burkin looks at Peggy, an open-cab version of the model representing one of the Ashover Light Railway locomotives.

A large number of 600mm gauge 4-6-0PT pannier tank locomotives for operation on the trench warfare railways of the First World War were delivered to the British War Department (WD) from the Baldwin Locomotive Works in the US. The order was placed with Baldwin because engineering facilities in the UK were already committed to other work at the time. They were capable of operation over uneven and temporary track formations possible with narrow gauge railways and to be able to negotiate tight curves. Ease of handling and maintenance was also a factor in their design.

A side view of the model showing its neatly applied livery and lining. Note the space between the chassis frames and boiler.

Classified as 10-12-D, the WD acquired 495 Baldwin locomotives between 1916 and mid 1917, of which many found use in other countries after hostilities ceased in 1918, including India. A considerable number were returned to the UK and sold as surplus to various light railways including the Ashover Light Railway (ALR), which took delivery of refurbished and unrefurbished Baldwin locomotives under the direction of light railway advocate Col Stephens following successful acquisitions for other of his light railways. One of the ALR locomotives, the attractively finished Peggy, is represented by the Bachmann model featured in this review.

The ALR is a fine example of a light narrow gauge railway, which could be modelled using the new OO9 equipment from Bachmann, including the Baldwin locomotives. Opened in 1924 and owned by the Clay Cross Company, its primary function was to haul minerals and limestone over its 7¼-mile line from quarries in the Derbyshire Peak District to works in the Clay Cross area where it also interchanged with the LMS. A passenger service was introduced in 1925 from Clay Cross to the terminus at Ashover Butts with several stations in the Clay Cross area. The railway owned a number of coaches, most of which were built using the running gear from the Class D bogie wagons purchased from the WD. Bachmann announced a model of the ALR coach based on this type for its 2018 range.

For the full article, see the April edition of Modelling – available now!

For a complete list of stockists and how to get your copy, visit: www.railwaymagazinemodelling.co.uk/distributors

Comments

comments