Serious Scottish modellers and rail enthusiasts were just getting over the Christmas announcement by Hornby that a North British C/LNER J36 would be released later this year when a double-dose of nostalgia was experienced at Model Rail Scotland in Glasgow over the weekend of February 23-25. Rails of Sheffield, in conjunction with Bachmann which is constructing the models, prominently displayed a great deal of literature featuring the Caledonian Class 812 0-6-0 tender engine.
During 1899 the Caledonian Railway built 17 engines to a new design at its St Rollox works
(Nos 812-828). A further 12 locomotives were built at St Rollox later that year.
The first machines were officially for mixed-traffic haulage, but were turned out in the very impressive Caledonian blue livery.
No. 828 was withdrawn from BR service in 1963, having been earmarked for preservation by the Scottish Locomotive Preservation Trust Fund.
For the full article, see the April edition of Modelling – available now!
For a complete list of stockists and how to get your copy, visit: www.railwaymagazinemodelling.co.uk/distributors